We’ve made leek and cheese pie already; we’ll make the spinach filling today.
You can use either fresh or frozen spinach. I had frozen so that’s what I used, but the method is the same either way.
Put the spinach in a nonstick pan with a little spritz of olive oil and let it soften.
Transfer the cooked spinach to a colander to drain. Sprinkle the salt on the spinach and let it rest for about ten minutes. The salt will help draw excess water out of the spinach.
Squeeze the spinach outside the colander into the sink, allowing the water to run out of your hands. The volume of the spinach should reduce by over half. It’s important to do this to avoid soggy spinach pie.
In a clean bowl, combine the spinach, dill, and cheeses.
Stir to incorporate everything.
Form the phyllo spirals following the instructions on the leek and cheese pie post.
Bake them for about 20 minutes until golden brown and cripsy!
Spanakotyropitakia Strifta | Spiral spinach and cheese pies
makes 8 small pies
4 cups spinach, fresh or frozen, stemmed, washed
1 tsp table salt
1 tbsp dried dill or 1/4 cup fresh dill
1/3 cheese for pies (see below)
1/3 package phyllo dough
olive oil for spraying
1. Spray a non-stick pan with olive oil lightly. Add spinach leaves. Allow to soften. Drain in colander. Sprinkle with salt and allow to rest 10 minutes.
2. Squeeze spinach with hands to remove as much water as possible.
3. In a bowl, combine spinach with dill and cheese.
4. Preheat oven to 180 C / 350 F. Cover a baking sheet with wax paper and spray with oil. Form phyllo spirals: cut phyllo in half lengthwise. Put 1/8 of filling on each sheet along the bottom long edge, and roll up. Coil the roll around itself to form a spiral. Place spirals on wax paper and spray with olive oil.
5. Bake at 180 C / 350 F for 20 minutes or until lightly golden brown in color and crispy. Allow to rest 15 minutes before serving.
Note: if not making other kinds of pies at the same time, triple the spinach and dill, double the salt, and use all the phyllo and cheese.
More detailed instructions on how to form phyllo spirals here.
Cheese for pies
makes enough for 24 small pies
140g feta cheese or lefko tyri
160g anthotyro or ricotta cheese
40g shredded parmesan or myzithra cheese
1/4 cup milk (lowfat or skim is fine)
To make cheese sauce, combine all ingredients and mash together.
per serving, i.e., per 1/8 of this recipe including cheese
3g fat (2g saturated, 1g unsaturated)
0g dietary fiber
9mg cholesterol (3% DV)
114mg sodium (5% DV)
113mg potassium (3% DV)
22% DV of vitamin A